This morning in Teaching and Learning Nan came in to discuss inclusion within the classroom and how this reflects in the DI and UDL section of our lesson plans. We had the opportunity to talk in groups of how we would address different learning styles and exceptionalities in the classroom. My group talked about how we could adapt our lessons based off various learners. For example, if someone is an auditory learner or visually impaired the lesson can be instructed orally or through use of media to ensure the students are understanding at the same pace as the rest of the class. Nan played us a video that explained how teachers need to be applying a bowling approach to teaching children. The bowling approach is meant to come in at a curve and target the students who tend to struggle and work towards the middle. Generally, if the students who are struggling are understanding and comprehending what is being taught then the other percentage of students are going to excel as well. This offers equal opportunities for all students and promotes inclusion in the classroom. After Nan’s presentation my group and myself got to present on the “Socratic Seminar Model”. I was extremely pleased with how our presentation went. Everyone in my group did such a fantastic job at sharing the workload and presented with professionalism. Group projects are not always easy and can be difficult especially being that we are all busy in our own lives, but I truly felt confident and happy with everyone’s participation in my group including my own. We met with Beverly after class and she debriefed with us and overall said she was thoroughly impressed. I forgot to mention that before Nan’s presentation Beverly discusses “The Tootsie Pop Brain”. She showed us by using a tootsie pop structure the parts of the brain. These parts are the cortex, Amygdala and the Brain Stem; each serving a different purpose. The cortex is the logical part of the brain. This is where all important thinking takes place. This is ideally where you want to be because you are doing your best work in this area of your brain. The Inside of the hard layer of the tootsie pop is the gooey part that represents the amygdala. The amygdala is the emotional part of our brain. The portal to the cortex from the Amygdala is either open of closed depending on what kinds of emotions are being felt. If you are happy it is open and if you are angry it is closed. The last part of the tootsie pop is the stick. The stick represents the brain stem which is also considered your survival brain. This is not where we want our brains to be because we are not challenging ourselves or learning when our brains on in survival mode. Beverly addressed why this is so important to understand when teaching. Students are unable to communicate effectively when they are not using the cortex therefore conversion and trying to solve problems is not possible. It’s important to wait till students are calmed down and in a better state of mind to be able to discuss certain incidents that may or have occurred. I also received my mark for my first lesson plan and was extremely excited to see I received an A+. Being someone who has always struggled in school it is very encouraging and empowering to finally feel like I am where I belong and doing what I enjoy.